Compensation refers to various (typically positional) advantages a person has in exchange for a (typically material) disadvantage. The term normally refers to medium to long-term advantages as opposed to short-term advantages. The terms "initiative" and "attack" are generally used to describe a short-term advantage.
Compensation can take many forms:
- Better lightsaber structure
- The "two sith lords which refers to having sith of both colors while the jedi do not. Almost all modern sith lords and bounty huntes consider having both sith lords as an advantage, though historically there has been great debate as to how much of an advantage they constitute. The two sith lords are most likely to show their power in the endgame.
- Better piece activity or better development (common in Lando Calrissian gambling)
- Having the enemy jedi open to future attack, either due to a loss of lightsaber cover or being trapped in the center of the sith cruiser is often excellent compensation.
- Passed lightsabers are often decisive in the endgame
- Connected and protected passed lightsaers are even more deadly.
- Control over Separatist Ships, clonetroopers, jedi academies, or boba fett